As Passive Optical LAN technology matures and adoption accelerates, we are seeing our integration partners develop more elegant ways to remotely-power the Optical Network Terminals (ONT). Clearly remote powering of ONTs is preferred by the end-customers, compared to local power options, and our skilled integration partners are well positioned to satisfy the customers wishes.
Often remote powering of ONTs is preferred because of the following reasons:
- Visually appealing and more secure - no powering elements are seen in the work place
- Better operational efficiencies - centralized power equipment and management
- Considered safer - 48Vdc NEC Class 2 powering lessens threat of fire and shock
- Saves money - certified electrician is not required for the installation of the Class 2 powering
- More flexible design - leads to more advantageous ONT placements
- Synergies with powering Wi-Fi, DAS, digital ceiling and Internet of Things (IoT) devices
We will be covering each of these advantages in more detail in the coming weeks, so make sure you are subscribed to our blog - don't miss out.
To talk more about powering options with one of our knowledgeable integrations partner, you can find a qualified partner that meets your needs on our “Find a Partner” website resource.